Create the perfect mood for holiday visitors with these easy paint projects and colors hand-picked by Ace’s Design Experts: Katie Reynolds, Julie Richard and Nathan Fischer.
Holiday Decor Done Fast
When holiday planning is in full swing, the last thing you want to be is up to your neck in a complicated project. So, Ace’s Design Experts have simplified things for you!
“You can create a festive atmosphere, without overwhelming yourself,” said Katie.“Paint something in a fun, unexpected color. The space will feel more festive, lively, and your guests are sure to gain energy from being in a creative space.”
ZERO IN ON THE POWDER ROOM, DINING ROOM OR FOYER
“Your guests will be sure to see these areas. Plus, a powder room or dining room are perfect places for adding a ‘pop’ of unexpected color,” said Julie. “Cooler weather invokes the feeling of warmth and coziness, so try these rich, deep colors.”
- Clark+Kensington® Smooth Slate 5042 in eggshell finish is a rich grey for the dining room that pairs perfectly with metallic finishes. Accent your table with a bronze and pewter centerpiece or charger plates.
- Try a deep, chocolate-berry hue like Clark+Kensington Magnetic Force 5022 in flat finish/;, for your powder room. Spice it up with red or gold accents – think monogrammed guest towels or a vase of fresh flowers on the vanity.
“Used in the right proportions, complementary colors can give the eye a place to rest in a room. One color should dominate and act as a backdrop for the other,” said Nathan. “Bring in one to two complementary colors in your accent pieces for an effect that’s simple and dramatic at the same time. These combinations were inspired by the colors and textures of fall and winter.”
- Deep blue is classic and orange is its complementary color. Paint the dining room walls Clark+Kensington City Nights 1048 and add a fall-themed centerpiece. Group five glass hurricane vases with white candles inside to create a larger visual. Bring in rich shades of orange and brown by adding fall foliage and other items from nature around the candle base.
- In a foyer, try Clark+Kensington Hot Cocoa 3056. This perfect shade of taupe is warm, inviting, and perfect for fall. Accent with holiday red and silver – try ornaments in a bowl or a poinsettia arrangement – and you’ll have a simple, yet bold effect.
BREAK THE MOLD IN SMALL SPACES
Patterns can invigorate a room, said Julie. “I recommend them in rooms like a powder room where you can get a little less conventional. Large horizontal or vertical stripes are dynamic and make the space feel special. Sheen and color work together to determine how understated or daring the eff ect is.”
- For a subtle look, alternate flat and high gloss sheens of Clark+Kensington Hibiscus 4066 painted in a 10-inch vertical stripe.
- Go a little bolder by choosing two shades of the same hue.Paint in 12-inch wide horizontal stripes of Ace’s Colors for Your Life® in Blue Monday D39-6 combined with Bonaparte D39-7 in the same eggshell finish. These lovely grey-blue tones will be a gorgeous backdrop to metallic or bright red holiday accents.
HOME AFTER THE HOLIDAYS
Whatever space you update for the holidays, choose colors that will harmonize with the rest of your home. When the holidays are over, switch out the accent décor to update for the new season.
“For instance, if your color palette is cool and you repaint your foyer, choose a cool grey or taupe such as Clark+Kensington Baby Elephant 3052,” said Katie. “If your palette is warm, I like Clark+Kensington Nut Cup 3026. When the guests are gone, accent with whites and chocolates for a year-round look.”
GLAM IN NO TIME
If you’re out of “room” to paint, add a big shot of color to a mini-sized project. A glossy sheen adds a touch of couture.
- Front Door – Go for maximum impact with a deep red, like Clark+Kensington Smoked Paprika 4048, in a semi gloss fi nish.
- Fireplace Mantel – A dramatic focal point creates a one-of-a-kind element that sets your home apart.
- Banister – Make a great first impression on your guests.
- Kitchen Island – Guests often gather in the kitchen. What a great place to add interest with an eye-catching color.
Due to differences in monitors and printers, the colors shown on screen may vary from the actual paint colors. Please refer to the color swatches at Ace Hardware stores for a more accurate color presentation.