Print Tips Here: Clean Charcoal Grill
Knowing when to clean your grillDEEP cleaning your Kettle Charcoal Grill is expected every 3-5 cooks. More often if you're cooking higher fatty foods.
Cleaning your Weber Kettle Grill
- Make sure kettle is cool and there are no embers remaining. Keep the lower damper open to allow ash to drop into the ash catcher.
- Remove the lid of the kettle and using a grill brush clean the grill grates top side and bottom side.
- Remove the grates and set aside.
- Remove the Char-baskets and dump any charcoal or ash.
- Remove any un-burned charcoal and clean out until the bottom of the kettle is fully exposed.
- Assess the amount of soot or particulate on the inside of the kettle.
The Finishing Touches
- Lightly scrape with the Ace 6-1 paint tool or light brush.
- Do NOT clean to a brand new look, leave it well seasoned and focus on removing any buildup or large particles (bbq crumbs).
- Use the paint tool to get around the edges of the grill and into the ledges. Caution: don’t scrape too hard or it will remove paint.
- Push all crumbs into the bottom of the kettle and into the ash catcher.
- Using a rag or bunched up shop towels, wipe the inside of the kettle down and push all debris into the ash catcher.
The Clean Up
- Using a Vacuum, clean out ALL of the ash and crumbs inside the grill – if needed or desired.
- Remove the ash catcher carefully and assess any other cleaning needs, set aside.
- INSPECT ALL KETTLE PARTS FOR ANY CRACKS OR DAMAGE PRIOR TO PUTTING THE GRILL BACK TOGETHER
- INSPECT ALL KETTLE NUTS, BOLTS, ETC FOR ANY ADJUSTMENT NEEDS
- INSPECT THE LOWER AND UPPER DAMPERS FOR ANY CLEANING NEEDS
- Verify inside of the kettle is clean and all parts/bolts are tight, and everything is in working order
- Rebuild the grill from the bottom up starting with the Ash Catcher, Fire Grate, Charcoal Baskets, and top grate
- Refill with fresh or recycled charcoal if using, or leave empty until the next cook
- Using Traeger Grill cleaner, spray exterior of Egg as heavy as needed, allow to soak for 1 minute and wipe down the grill from top to bottom. Spot clean again if heavier cleaning is needed. I wipe down the sides of the grill and modular nest as well