Feeling down? Then Dr. BBQ has the remedy for you it's his Pear and Apple Crisp that's sure to be a big hit when you add the wood fire flavor of wood chunks on your Big Green Egg.
Pear and Apple Crisp Big Green Egg Recipe
- 2 pounds Fuji apples, about 4 medium, peeled cored and cut into 1 ½” chunks
- 2 pounds Bosc pears, about 5 medium, peeled cored and cut into 1 ½” chunks
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup Sugar in the Raw
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Sugar in the Raw
- ¾ cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks ice cold butter, cut into small cubes
- Prepare the EGG to cook indirect at 350°. Put the apples and pears in a large bowl Top with the lemon juice and zest. Toss to mix.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cayenne if you’re using it and cornstarch over the top. Toss to coat everything evenly.
- Add the flour and toss again until all the ingredients are well distributed. Set aside.
- To make the topping, add the flour, sugar, oatmeal and salt to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the butter and mix, separating the butter cubes until they are evenly distributed.
- Spray a Big Green Egg 10.5” skillet with vegetable spray.
- Toss the apple mixture one more time, then pour it into the skillet. Spread the filling evenly around the skillet.
- With your hands in food safe gloves, place the topping on the filling distributing it evenly and bringing it to the edges.
- Do not smooth the topping out. It’s meant to be rustic.
- Place the skillet on the EGG and cook for 30 minutes.
- Rotate the skillet 180°, then cook another 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling throughout and lightly browned.
- Remove from the EGG and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. To serve, spoon into bowls and top with ice cream.
For more recipes, go to Tips.acehardware.com