It’s a leap year! When was the last time you cleaned these areas? Without proper maintenance these spaces can collect bacteria, break down, or even become a hazard. At Ace, we are here to remind you of 5 key areas that need your attention this Leap Year.
5 Places To Clean Your Home This Leap Year
1. Clean Your Mattress
It is a well-known fact that your mattress collects debris, dust mites, and body soil. However, are you sure you’re taking the proper precautions to make sure it is clean? The following tips will guide you on the most efficient way to sanitize your sleeping quarters.
- Vacuuming your mattress frequently ensures that you’re removing all the skin cells, dust mites and debris possible.
- Spot treating those stressful spills and accidents ensures that no extra bacteria or germs can collect there. Just be sure to pick a cleaner that is applicable to mattress cleaning.
- Once clean and dry, spray your mattress with a fabric freshener before putting your mattress cover back on.
2. Wash Your Curtains and Dust Your Blinds
This leap year, take those long time shades down and give them a proper washing. Getting your curtains cleaned helps maintain their integrity and purity for years to come. While they are down, be sure to dust and sanitize the rod and trim for extra security. Remove your blinds from the wall and give them a good cleaning. Plastic blinds can be placed in a bathtub and with the use of a sponge or rag wipe down the debris that is collected. Let them dry out of the tub and make sure to pay extra attention to drying the hardware to avoid it from rusting. For blinds made of other material, like wood, use an appropriate cleaner.
3. Clean Your Sump Pump
A clean sump pump is a happy sump pump. If you haven’t looked at or tested your sump pump, now is the time to do it. Don’t let another year go by without giving this crucial appliance your attention.
- Take a bucket of water, a rag, a gentle cleanser and your shop vac.
- Begin by draining any excess water in the bottom of the pit or around your pump.
- Take your rag and easily wipe away grim and slug surrounding the joints.
- Gently rise the tubes and joints with warm water.
4. Give Your Storm Windows Some TLC
Making sure to take care of your storm windows is very important and tedious. Even more so in older homes. By making this your yearly ritual, you will lessen the likelihood of costly repairs or window replacements.
- Dust away and cob webs, dust piles, or collected insects. This build up can be detrimental to the function of your storm windows. Making sure the weeping holes are clear and capable of draining rain water is essential. An air duster makes it easy to clean these areas and all those small spots.
- A micro-fiber cloth is perfect for the glass portion on the cleaning process.
- Scrape away any peeling caulk and replace if necessary.
- Now is the time to repair any torn screens to keep bugs from getting in your home. Check a participating Ace store as many offer a screen service repair.
5. Maintain Your Large Appliances
Appliances like your refrigerator or your stove can be heavy and not easily moved. You’d be surprised how much dust and lost items can fall in such tight spaces. With care and ease unplug the appliance and then pull it out to dust and sweep out from behind them. Refrigerators have coils that also collect dust and these spots should be attended to as well. A large amount of dust, crumbs, and debris can collect under these heavy duty items. Thus, creating a serious fire hazard. The same goes for dryers. The lint trap can only hold so much for so long. Be sure to give your dryer a good cleaning. Follow up by cleaning your washing machine which helps keep your machine fresher and cleaner.
Be sure to freshen up under spaces like:
For more helpful Tips & Advice, go to Tips.AceHardware.com. Always follow manufacturer’s instructions before using any product.