Looking for a side dish that will have everyone begging for seconds? Give this baked bean recipe an opportunity to dazzle the family and amaze the neighbors with this side dish on your Traeger. This recipe is the feel-good hit of the summer, loaded with flavor and has some cool hints of coffee too. Add that wood fired flavor from your pellet grill and you have a perfect side dish.
Yield: 10-12 Servings Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes Cook Time: 35 – 40 Minutes
- 4 cans - Pinto Beans (15 oz can)
- 1 pound - Thick Sliced Applewood Bacon
- 1 tbsp - Fresh Crushed Garlic
- 1 ea - Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 ea - Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 cup - Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp - Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup - Maple Syrup
- 1 cup - Tomato Puree
- 1 cup - High Altitude BBQ Sauce, 5280 Culinary
- 4 tbsp - Oink Rub, 5280 Culinary
- 3 tbsp - Island Boys Coffee Rub, 5280 Culinary
- Wash all tools prior to use
- Prep and measure out ingredients as listed above
- Clean and sanitize all cutting boards and prep surfaces prior to use
- Read all manufacturer’s instructions before using grills, or any cooking tools
- Clean out Traeger as needed and change drip tray liner
- Fill pellet hopper with Reserve Blend Pellets
- Set Traeger to 500˚, hit enter and hit ignite
- While Traeger is heating up – add Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven (without lid)
- Once Traeger reaches temp, proceed as listed below
- Open Traeger lid and add the bacon to the Dutch oven, close the lid and allow bacon to cook / render for 10 minutes
- Open the Traeger lid and stir the bacon, add the garlic and peppers
- Close the lid and allow garlic, peppers and bacon to cook for 10 minutes.
- Open the Traeger lid and add the beans, sugar, vanilla, syrup, tomato puree, BBQ sauce and spices. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid and cook for 15 minutes
- Open the Traeger lid and carefully stir the beans, take a sample taste (be careful, they are hot) adjust seasoning if needed and sweetness if desired
- Continue to cook in 5-minute increments (without Dutch oven lid) until desired thickness is reached
- Chef’s Tip: Beans will thicken by about 10% when cooling
- Carefully remove Dutch oven using heat proof gloves and bring into kitchen
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes prior to serving
- To store beans, cool completely at room temp, place into storage container and cover
For more helpful tips and recipes, visit Ace Hardware's Tips & Advice
Published on 4/19/2021.
Always follow manufacturer's instructions before using any product.
These “How-To’s” are provided for informational purposes only. The information contained in Ace Hardware’s “how-to” videos and/or articles is intended to provide general guidelines for projects in and outside of your home. Tools, products, materials, techniques, building codes, local regulations are continually changing. Ace Hardware assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained herein and disclaims any liability for the omissions, errors or the outcome of any project. It is the responsibility of the viewer to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, rules, codes and regulations for a project and the product being used. The viewer must always take proper safety precautions and exercise caution when taking on any project or using materials of said project. If you have any questions, concerns or doubts in regards to any element of what is displayed in the videos and/or articles, contact a licensed professional.