Are you ready for Mac and Cheese with a twist? Well 2 twists actually. Twist #1 is the amazing Carbon steel wok and Twist #2 is the time saving tips and tricks we have to help you make 100% kid approved mac in about 15 minutes. Try it on your Big Green Egg tonight!
Yield: Serves 4 people Prep time: 8 Minutes Cook time: 8-10 Minutes
- 1 ea- BGE Carbon Steel Wok
- 2 tbsp- Unsalted Butter
- 1 lb- Rotini Pasta (Cooked and chilled)
- 1 ½ cup- Cheese Sauce (From a jar)
- ½ cup- Alfredo Sauce (From a jar)
- ½ cup- Aged Cheddar Cheese
- 4 cups- Cheesy Puff Sticks (Crushed into crumbs)
- To taste- Oink Rub, 5280 Culinary
- Pre Cook pasta or use pasta ready type products from the grocery store
- Wash all tools prior to use
- Clean and sanitize all cutting boards and prep surfaces prior to use
- Read all manufacturer’s instructions before using grills, starters and any cooking tools
- Clean out ash pit of grill if needed
- Stir charcoal in the Big Green Egg and top off with Fresh Charcoal
- Open Bottom vent and top vent for maximum air flow during startup process
- Make a well in the center of the lump and ignite the charcoal using speedilight starters or an EGGniter
- When temp hits 200˚ add the EGGspander system bottom with ring
- Heat to temp of 450˚ and adjust lower and upper vents to hold at 450˚
- While grill is heating up, prep mac and cheese
- Burp Big Green Egg and Open dome – Close the bottom vent and keep dome open while cooking
- Add carbon steel wok and heat at 450˚ for 2 minutes - Use a thermometer to check the temp
- Add butter to wok and melt
- Add pasta to butter and cook for 1 minute to heat pasta
- Add both sauces and stir to combine
- Cook Pasta and sauce until bubbling and hot
- Add the cheesy puff stick crumbs to the top and spread out
- Adjust seasoning with Oink if desired
- Close dome and cook crust for 2 minutes
- Using tongs and heat proof gloves, remove wok from the grill and bring into the kitchen.
- Allow to rest for 2-3 minutes so cheese can cool and firm up.
- Plate in a large bowl
- Feel free to use your favorite pasta shape. Rotini is a great choice because the spirals collect all the amazing sauce, making each bite more cheesy.
- Use a food processor to blend up the cheese puff sticks quick and easily. If you do not have a food processor, no worries, just toss the cheese puff sticks into a zip lock bag and smash them up with the back of a spoon.
- Close the bottom vent of the Egg whenever you are cooking with the top open.
For more helpful tips and recipes, visit Ace Hardware's Tips & Advice
Published on 5/7/2021.
Always follow manufacturer's instructions before using any product.
These “How-To’s” are provided for informational purposes only. The information contained in Ace Hardware’s “how-to” videos and/or articles is intended to provide general guidelines for projects in and outside of your home. Tools, products, materials, techniques, building codes, local regulations are continually changing. Ace Hardware assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained herein and disclaims any liability for the omissions, errors or the outcome of any project. It is the responsibility of the viewer to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, rules, codes and regulations for a project and the product being used. The viewer must always take proper safety precautions and exercise caution when taking on any project or using materials of said project. If you have any questions, concerns or doubts in regards to any element of what is displayed in the videos and/or articles, contact a licensed professional.