Don’t make Earth Day the only day you consider making environmentally conscious changes to your home. There are ways to be more earth friendly in your home and while you may not think of Ace as your first stop I beg to differ, here are some ideas that are available at your local Ace hardware store.
5 Ways To Create An Earth Friendly Home
- Change all your light bulbs to LED. There is really no reason not to do this. The color temperature of the bulbs is almost exactly like traditional bulbs. The lifespan of the bulbs can be up to 20 years and the energy usage is over 70% less than traditional bulbs. The bulbs are more affordable than you think especially when you consider how long they last.
- Ditch the chemicals for cleaning and use highly refined micro-fiber cleaning cloths. E-Cloth is so good at lifting dirt with just water it is rated to eliminate 99% of any substance that is on a surface. From dusting to cleaning in the kitchen all you use is these towels , pads and sponges and water. To maintain a chemical free cloth you can boil to clean them and reuse for months. Placing them in your washing machine is just fine too.
- Use organic fertilizers to grown your lawn and garden. Products like Milorganite can really get things looking great without any harsh chemicals.
- Turn down or turn up your thermostat. Just one degree difference in the winter or summer can save you up to 3% in your energy use in your home over the course of a year. The Nest thermostat learns what temperatures you like, turns itself down when you’re away. The Nest Leaf on the screen will indicate the energy saving mode so you can see it working in action.
- Use less water by installing a dual flush valve in your toilet. By reducing the water used in a toilet for flushing liquids you can save up to 15,000 gallons per toilet per year.
For more tips, go to tips.acehardware.com