Looking for a hardy meal for that next football party? Look no further then this chili smoked on the Big Green Egg that tastes amazing on a baked potato with sour cream.
Chili Con Carne Recipe For Your Big Green Egg
Smoking the chili on the EGG gives it a real depth of flavor you just don’t get on any other cooker … and the Big Green Egg Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce gives it a nice kick!
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 diced red peppers
- 2 1⁄4 lbs (1 kg) ground beef
- 2 – 16 oz (.5 kg) cans plum tomatoes
- 2 – 16 oz (.5 kg) cans kidney beans (undrained – the liquid has lots of flavour)
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Big Green Egg Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce – add more if you like it really spicy!
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato puree
- 2 tsp (10 ml) coarse ground pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sea salt
- 3 or 4 pre-soaked hickory wood smoking chunks
Set EGG for direct cooking (no convEGGtor) at 400°F/200°C. Add a Dutch oven to the cooking grid to preheat.
Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven and add the chopped onion, garlic and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and translucent.
Add the minced beef and continue to stir every couple of minutes until browned.
Carefully remove the Dutch oven and the cooking grid and add the hickory chunks to the charcoal. Add the convEGGtor and the cooking grid and lower the temperature of the EGG to 350°F/177°C.
Add all the other ingredients to the Dutch oven and place, uncovered, back on the grid. Stir every 10 minutes; once the chili is simmering, cook for another hour to allow the flavors to develop.
Tip: Serve on baked potatoes with a dollop of sour cream. Bake alongside with chili, and in the last 30 minutes drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt to crisp up the skins.
For more recipes, go to Tips.acehardware.com