A new year brings thoughts of all the new beginnings we can create. A new job, a new person in our lives, a new car, maybe even a new grill? Here are 10 ideas for your home that might make 2020 a little brighter, happier and even help save you some money.
News Year’s Resolutions For Your Home
- In your home that is. Focus on cutting the clutter in and around your home. I can bet you have too much stuff in your closet and if you apply the 2-month rule you will shed some unwanted pounds. If you have not worn it, looked at it, thought about it in 2 months then donate it. I am sure some of it has sentimental value but how about you put on that old college sweatshirt and take a picture of yourself in it and then give it to someone who really needs it?
Install a WIFI enabled thermostat
- This is the year you come into the fast lane. These units will help conserve energy, give you information about the temperature, air quality and more. You can control them from a smart device even your voice depending on the one you buy.
Increase the security in your home
Choose a greener way of living in your home
- Consider using environmentally positive cleaners for your home. There are many different products out there that use no harsh chemicals that work, and the companies even focus on how they make them to improve their carbon footprint. A product like E-Cloth just uses the cloth and water! Its finer fibers instantly clean and dry shiny surfaces to a sparkling finish. No chemicals necessary!
Reseal your stone counters in your kitchen and bathrooms
- If you have stone counters, they need to be re-sealed every 18 months or so and it’s a quick job. Test your stone by placing a quarter size water drop on the counter. If it gets absorbed in 30 minutes or so then you need to re-seal. Clean the counters, re-caulk as needed, then apply the sealer per the manufacturer’s instructions. Stay off the counters for about 2 hours and you are good to go.
Paint or wallpaper an accent wall
- I’m sure there is a place in your home that needs a little update and an accent color or a beautiful wallpaper can spruce things up. It’s in expensive and can be done in as little as one day.
Go cordless in 2020
- If you maintain your lawn and garden and want to make your life easier and help the environment think about battery powered lawnmowers, blowers, chainsaws and more. The technology has come a long way and these products work well and use no fuel and no emissions at all. Look for an outdoor power system like EGO that runs on the same battery so you can interchange the battery and keep your outdoor projects moving.
Expand your recipe horizons by trying a different cooking options
Update the look of your kitchen
Focus on one thing
- Focus your time on areas that are the most expensive items to replace. From your roofs to your windows, it’s time to give them some attention. For the roof, carefully examine it for loose or missing shingles. Clean your gutters so the roofs don’t take in moisture. For the windows, make sure the frames are in good condition. Caulk any areas that are open. Again, moisture can damage the frames.
For more tips, go to Tips.acehardware.com